Year in Program: M1
I am pursuing anthropology and medicine to advance interdisciplinary research and critically examine the ways in which social determinants of health, political economy, world systems and structural violence intersect with the mortal realities of health, wellness and social justice.
I aspire to establish a career as a physician-anthropologist catalyzing networks of exchange between students, professionals and medical technology among West African nations and the United States.
Honors and Awards
- 2017-2018 Kevin J. And Edith Sullivan Scholarship-Columbia University
- 2014 Neil C. Tapen Prize-University of Minnesota
- Cancedda C. Strengthening Health Systems while Responding to a Health Crisis: Lessons Learned by a Nongovernmental Organization during the Ebola Virus Disease Epidemic in Sierra Leone. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2016-10-15;214:S153-S163.
- Drasher, Michael. Packet Alcohol Delivers a Serious Hangover in Sierra Leone. VICE News, 31 May 2014, news.vice.com/article/packet-alcohol-delivers-a-serious-hangover-in-sierra-leone.
- Kelly JD, Barrie MH, Mesman AW, Karku S, Quiwa K, Drasher M. Anatomy of a Hotspot: Chain and Seroepidemiology of Ebola Virus Transmission, Sukudu, Sierra Leone, 2015-16. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, Volume 217, Issue 8, 28 March 2018.
- Kelly JD, Richardson ET, Drasher M, Barrie MB, Karku S. Food insecurity and Ebola Virus-Related Outcomes: Food Insecurity as a Risk Factor for Outcomes Related to Ebola Virus Disease in Kono District, Sierra Leone: A Cross-Sectional Study. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 19 March 2018.
- Richardson ET, Kelly JD, Sesay O, Drasher MD, Desai IK, Frankfurter R, Farmer PE, Barrie MB. The Symbolic Violence of ‘Outbreak’: A Mixed Methods, Quasi-Experimental Impact Evaluation of Social Protection on Ebola Survivor Wellbeing. Social Science and Medicine 2017.