Education: Grand Valley State University, B.S.; Western Michigan University, M.S.
Year in Program: G2
Mentor: Dr. Heather Gibson
I am a proponent of Science Based Medicine and believe that medicine should adhere to the strictest science standards to provide the best care.
My research is in cancer immunology and response to Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. We are investigating host genetic factors that contribute to response to Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors, such as anti-PD1 and anti-CTLA4, in a genetically diverse mouse model.
Honors and Awards
- 2016 - Distinguished Biological Sciences Graduate Student
- 2015 - MPI Outstanding Graduate Research Award: Master's level
- 2019: Molecular Therapeutics and Tumor Biology and Microenvironment Program symposium poster prize
- K. M. Muzzarelli et al., “Structural and Antiviral Studies of the Human Norovirus GII.4 Protease,” Biochemistry, vol. 58, pp. 900–907, Jan. 2019.
- J.B. Hackett et al., "An Organelle RNA Recognition Motif Protein is Required for Photosynthetic Subunit psbF Transcript Editing," Plant Physiol., p.01623, Feb. 2017
- J. B. Hackett and Y. Lu, “Whole transcriptome RNA-seq, gene set enrichment pathway analysis and exon coverage analysis of two plastid RNA editing mutants," Plant Signal. & Behav., vol.12, p.1312242, Apr. 2017
- American Society of Cell Biology, Midwestern Sectional American Society for Plant Biology
- American Association of Immunologists, Translational Research Cancer Centers Consortium
Funding: R72, T32