Education: Johns Hopkins University, B.S. in Cognitive Science & Philosphy and M.S. in Biotechnology
Year in Program: G2
Mentor: Dr. Mark Greenwald
I maintain a website (www.tabithamoses.com) that includes a log of my MD/PhD experiences as well as other academic topics. Science communication and outreach are important parts of research, so I aim to contribute through my website and other invited online articles.
My main focus is on how stress impacts substance use and whether transcranial magnetic stimulation ameliorates these stress effects in people with opioid use disorder. I also look at factors associated with polysubstance use and genetic differences in response to treatment. In addition to these topics I engage in a range of bioethics and neuroethics research primarily exploring issues related to disability, neurotechnology, and psychiatric illness.
Honors and Awards
- University of Washington Summer Institute in Statistical Genetics Scholarship - April 2019
- CPDD Early Career Investigator Travel Award - June 2019
- Medical Alumni Association Lifetime of Dedication Award - 2018-2019
- CPDD FORCE Junior Investigator Travel Award - June 2018
- TEDMED Frontline Scholarship - July 2017
Moses, T. Erasing Trauma: Ethical Considerations to the Individual and Society. AJOB Neuroscience (In Press).
Moses, T., Lister J.J., & Greenwald M.K., A Comparison of Substance Use Patterns Among Lifetime Heroin-Injecting Individuals By Racial Groups. Addiction Research and Theory (In Press).
Moses, T., Burmeister, M., & Greenwald, M.K., Heroin Delay Discounting and Impulsivity: Modulation by DRD1 Genetic Variation. June 2019. Addiction Biology. E12777.
Moses, T., & Greenwald, M.K., History of Regular Nonmedical Sedative and/or Alcohol Use Differentiates Substance-Use Patterns and Consequences Among Chronic Heroin Users. October 2019. Addictive Behaviors. 97, pp.14-19
Moses, T., Lundahl, L. H., & Greenwald M.K., Factors Associated with Heroin Use and Misuse Among Heroin Users. April 2018. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 185, pp.10-16
Moses, T., Woodcock, E. A., Lister J.J., Lundahl, L.H., & Greenwald M.K., Developing a Scale of Domains of Negative Consequences of Chronic Heroin Use. February 2018. Addictive Behaviors. 77, pp.260-266
Moses, T. & Illes, J. Ethics, Ethicists, and Professional Organizations in the Neurological Sciences. March 2017. AJOB Neuroscience. 8(1), pp.3-11
Moses, T., Emerging Technologies: The Ethical Dangers of Fixing What is Not Broken. May 2016. Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Symposium on Ethics in Engineering, Science and Technology
- International Neuroethics Society (2015-Present)
- Society for Neuroscience (2015,2019)
- Western Michigan Medical Humanities Conference (2016-Present)
- Michigan State Medical Society Meeting (2017, 2019)
- American Medical Association Annual Meeting (2017-Present)
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence (2017-Present)
- American Medical Association Interim Meeting (2018-Present)
- AAMC National Workshop to Advance Medical Education to Combat Opioid Misuse (2019)