Education: Michigan State University- B.S.
Year in Program: G3
Mentor: Roger Pique-Regi and Francesca Luca
I am interested in understanding how genetic variation interacts with environmental factors to influence complex traits. I study the effect of environmental perturbations on gene expression and chromatin accessibility in a variety of cell types from different individuals to identify genetic variants which alter molecular phenotypes under certain conditions.
Honors and Awards
• Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award F30 Fellowship (NIGMS)
• AHA Predoctoral Fellowship (Declined)
- Findley AS, Richards AL, Petrini C, Shanku AS, Alazizi A, Doman E, Davis O, Hauff N, Sorokin Y, Wen X, Pique-Regi R, Luca F. 2019. Interpreting coronary artery disease risk through gene-environment interactions in gene regulation. Genetics. (In press)
- Richards AL, Muehlbauer AL, Alazizi A, Burns MB, Findley A, Messina F, Gould TJ, Cascardo C, Pique-Regi R, Blekhman R, Luca F. 2018. Gut microbiota has a widespread and modifiable effect on host gene regulation. bioRxiv. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/210294
- Shanku AG, Findley A, Kalita CA, Shim H, Luca F, Pique-Regi R. 2018. circuitSNPs: Predicting genetic effects using a Neural Network to model regulatory modules of DNase-seq footprints. bioRxiv. doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/337774
- Richards AL, Watza D, Findley A, Alazizi A, Wen X, Pai AA, Pique-Regi R, Luca F. 2017. Environmental perturbations lead to extensive directional shifts in RNA processing. PLOS Genet. 13:e1006995.
- Van Pijkeren JP, Neoh KM, Sirias D, Findley AS, Britton RA. 2012. Exploring optimization parameters to increase ssDNA recombineering in Lactococcus lactis and Lactobacillus reuteri. Bioengineered. 3:209–217.
• Recomb/ISCB Conference on Regulatory and Systems Genomics 2016; Phoenix, AZ
• The Biology of Genomes 2018; Cold Spring Harbor, NY
• The American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting 2018; San Diego, CA
• The Biology of Genomes 2019; Cold Spring Harbor, NY
• Midwest PopGen 2019; Chicago, IL
• The American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting 2019; Houston, TX
Funding: F30 GM131580 (2019-present)