Education: Univeristy of California - Berkeley, B.S.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
Year in Program: M4
Mentor: Dr. Juri Gelovani
I like working on cars, endurance training, and playing video games.
- Cardiac tissue repair and regeneration secondary to myocardial infarction / ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- Development of an ischemia-reperfusion injury model in salamanders, specifically the Mexican salamander, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum).
- Development of a new model animal, including surgical procedures, pain control and antinociception using opioids, and qualitative and quantitative scales to measure pain in the axolotl.
- Leveraging technology to increase patient/user experience in personal healthcare outcomes helping drive primary-care engagement and increase adoption of preventative medicine as standard of care.
- Developing on-body or in-body sensors for continual ambulatory monitoring of vital signs and disease-appropriate biomarkers.
- Development of algorithms using continually-monitored vital signs and disease-appropriate biomarkers to predict development of disease pathophysiology.
- Development of cybersecure methods to transfer ambulatory vital signs and disease-appropriate patient data to patient’s consumer devices and patient’s healthcare providers while maintaining HIPAA and appropriate CFR compliance.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Abstract, University of Michigan-Wayne State University Physiology Symposium (2011)
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS:
- Zakaria HM, Llaniguez JT, Telemi E, Chuang M, Abouelleil M, Wilkinson B, Chandra A, Boyce-Fappiano D, Elibe E, Schultz L, Siddiqui F. Sarcopenia Predicts Overall Survival in Patients with Lung, Breast, Prostate, or Myeloma Spine Metastases Undergoing Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT), Independent of Histology. Neurosurgery. 2019 Jun 24.
- Baker BB, Meyer DN, Llaniguez JT, Rafique SE, Cotroneo TM, Hish GA, Baker TR. Management of Multiple Protozoan Ectoparasites in a Research Colony of Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum). Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. 2019 May.
- Laws MT, Bonomi RE, Kamal S, Gelovani DJ, Llaniguez J, Potukutchi S, Lu X, Mangner T, Gelovani JG. Molecular imaging HDACs class IIa expression-activity and pharmacologic inhibition in intracerebral glioma models in rats using PET/CT/(MRI) with [18 F] TFAHA. Scientific reports. 2019 Mar 5;9(1):3595.
- Sappok AG, Llaniguez JT, Acar J, Wong VW. Emissions and In-Cylinder Combustion Characteristics of Fischer-Tropsch and Conventional Diesel Fuels in a Modern CI Engine. In ASME 2005 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 2005 Jan 1 (pp. 111-123). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Llaniguez JT. A fundamental study of relationships among fuel properties, combustion characteristics and emission with normal and synthetic diesel fuel (Masters dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
- Quantitative and Qualitative Behavioral Measurements to Assess Pain in Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum)
Jeremy T. Llaniguez, Morgan A. Szczepaniak, Barry H. Rickman, Juri G. Gelovani, Gerald A. Hish, and Tara M. Cotroneo
Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (July) 2019
MANUSCRIPTS IN PROGRESS:
- Reduced Cardiac Regeneration Following Mechanically-Induced Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Axolotls
Cardiac Injury Models in Laboratory Animals: A Review
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science National Meeting (2017)
- Medical Student Advocacy Day and Region Conference (2016, 2017, 2018)
- National MD/PhD Student Conference (2014)
- AMA-MSS Interim Meeting (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- AMA-MSS National Meeting (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- University of Michigan-Wayne State University Physiology Symposium (2011)
Funding: American Association for Laboratory Animal Science – Grant for Laboratory Animal Science (GLAS Grant) (2016)
- Proposing Amendments to Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Resolution 43-15. Michigan State Medical Society
Kinker B, Gorgis S, Malhotra G, Roumayah T, Llaniguez J, and Kong J for the Medical Student Section.
(MSMS) Annual Conference - House of Delegates. 2015 April.
Adopted AMA MSMS Resolution 2015
Appended AMA Policy: D-305.993 (Res. 324, A-15) 2015
- Ensuring Equality in Loan Repayment Programs for Married Couples. Resolution 44-15. Michigan State Medical Society
Llaniguez J, Kinker B, Gorgis S, Malhotra G, Roumayah T, and Kong J for the Medical Student Section.
(MSMS) Society Annual Conference - House of Delegates. 2015 April.
Adopted AMA MSMS Resolution 2015
Appended AMA Policy: H-305.928 (Res. 323, A-15) 2015
- Opposing the Establishment of an Assistant Physician Program. Resolution 45-15. Michigan State Medical Society
Malhotra G, Gorgis S, Roumayah T, Llaniguez J, Gorgis J, Kraus A, Zureick A, Gharzeddine J, MacKenzie A, Hancu A, Graham P, and Donkin J for the Medical Student Section.
Annual Conference - House of Delegates. 2015 April.
Adopted AMA MSMS Resolution 2015
- Maintenance Hemodialysis for Undocumented Persons in Michigan. Resolution 17-19. Michigan State Medical Society
Rohit Abraham, Miriam Rienstra, Mara Bezerko, Mara Darian, Emma Frost, David Lee, Jordan Lippincott, Jeremy T. Llaniguez, Michael Mallian, MD, Sara Teising, and Jason Wasserman, PhD
- Annual Conference – House of Delegates 2019
- Adopted AMA MSMS Resolution 2019
- A Model of Myocardial Ischemia in Urodeles
Oral Presentation – Refinement and Enrichment Advancements Laboratory (REAL)
University of Michigan Medical School, Unit for Laboratory Animal Medicine 2015
- Student Led Session on Diversity, Cultural Humility, and Inclusion for First Year Students
- Effects of Slow Skeletal Troponin T Knockout on Skeletal Muscle Function, Development and Regeneration
Poster presented at the University of Michigan – Wayne State University Physiology Symposium 2011
- Elucidating Cardiac Repair in Animals with Robust Regeneration to Enhance Repair in Humans
J.T. Llaniguez, M.A. Szcepeniak, G. Hish, T. Cotroneo and J.G. Gelovani
Poster presented at the annual National MD/PhD Student Conference 2014
Poster presented at WSUSOM Graduate and Postdoctoral Scholar Research Symposium 2017
- Molecular imaging of epigenetic regulation mediated by HDACs 4, 5 using PET/CT/MRI with 18F-TFAHA in a rat model of human glioma
Maxwell T. Laws, Robin E. Bonomi, Swatabdi Kamal, David Gelovani, Jeremy T. Llaniguez, Vadim Popov, Xin Lu, Srinivasu Kallakuri, Thomas Mangner and Juri G. Gelovani
Proceedings: AACR 107th Annual Meeting 2016; April 16-20, 2016; New Orleans, LA 2016
- Qualitative and Quantitative Behavioral Measurements to Assess Pain in Axolotls
M.A. Szcepeniak, J.T. Llaniguez, J.G. Gelovani, G. Hish, and T. Cotroneo
Poster presented at American Association for Laboratory Animal Science National Meeting (October) 2017
- Cardiac Tissue Regeneration Using a Novel Ischemia-Reperfusion Model in the Axolotl
J. Llaniguez, M.A. Szczepaniak, B.H. Rickman, G. Hish, T. Cotroneo and J.G. Gelovani
Poster presented at American Medical Association Research Symposium (November) 2018
- Development of a Novel Cardiac Ischemia-Reperfusion Model in Axolotls
Llaniguez, JT; Szczepaniak, MA; Rickman, BH; Hish, G; Cotroneo, T; and Gelovani, JG
Accepted poster for Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum (February) 2018