Education: Wayne State University- B.S.
Year in Program: G3
Mentor: Dr. Karin Przyklenk
I study the mitochondrial contribution to myocardial infarction and ischemia reperfusion injury; focusing on novel methods to attenuate injury from ischemic stress. Using an in-vitro model of ischemic conditioning in both a cardiac cell line and murine primary cardiomyocytes, my goal is to investigate the role of mitochondrial morphosis (ie: fission and fusion) within the ischemic conditioning paradigm.
Honors and Awards
2015 Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 3-MT competition winner
2016 BEST program phase 3 internship awardee
2017 WSU Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship
• Kou Z, Gattu R, Kobeissy F, Welch RD, O'Neil BJ, Woodard JL, Ayaz SI, Kulek A, Kas-Shamoun R, Mika V, Zuk C, Tomasello F, Mondello S. Combining Biochemical and Imaging Markers to Improve Diagnosis and Characterization of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in the Acute Setting: Results from a Pilot Study. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(11): e80296
• Guo J, Chen XF, Liu J, Lin HY, Han HW, Liu HC, Huang SC, Shahla BK, Kulek A, Qi JL, Wang XM, Ling LJ, Yang YH. Novel Shikonin Derivatives Targeting Tubulin as Anticancer Agents. Chemical Biology & Drug Design 2014; 84(5):603-15 .
• Ayaz SI, Thomas C, Kulek A. Tolomello R, Mika V, Robinson D, Medado P, Pearson C, Prichep L, O'Neil BJ. Comparison of Quantitative EEG to current clinical decision rules for Head CT use in acute mild traumatic brain injury in the ED. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015,33(4):493-6.
• Iraji A, Benson RR, Welch RD, O'Neil BJ, Woodard JL, Ayaz SI, Kulek A, Medado, Soltanian-Zadeh H, Liu T, Haacke EM, Kuo Z. Resting State Functional Connectivity in Mild Traumatic Brain Injury at the Acute Stage. J Neurotrauma 2015;32(14): 1031-1045
• Iraji A, Chen H, Wiseman N, Zhang T, Welch R, O'Neil B., Kulek A, Ayaz SI Wang X. Zuk C, Haacke EM, Liu T, Kou Z. Connectome-scale assessment of structural and functional connectivity in mild traumatic brain injury at the acute stage. Neuroimage Clin (2016) 12:100-115.
2013 Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
2014 Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
2016 American Heart Association Scientific Sessions
2014-2016 IBS fellowship
2018-2019 Rumble fellowship